Men's Tennis Closes Out Season with a Loss to Azusa Pacific
May 8, 2014
Written by: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for External Operations
MOBILE, Ala.- The Sailfish men’s tennis team closed out a solid 2014 campaign on Thursday with a 5-0 loss to Azusa Pacific University in the semi-finals of the NCCAA National Tournament. Azusa Pacific entered the tournament ranked No. 11 in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division II rankings and proved their worth as they defeated the No. 44-ranked (ITA) Sailfish and concluded their season with a 14-12 overall record.
The highlight of the match came at No. 1-doubles which matched up Palm Beach Atlantic’s No. 19-ranked doubles tandem of Romain Nowaczyk and Nicolas Uryson with the No. 21-ranked duo of APU’s Jan Meyer and Gary Yam. In the end it was the Cougars who prevailed as they earned an 8-4 win at No. 1-doubles.
After sweeping through Nos. 2 and 3-doubles by the scores of 8-2 and 8-3 the Cougars sent No. 5-ranked Meyer and No. 6-ranked Frederick Wilkens to the top slots of singles to take on PBA’s Nowaczyk (No. 50-ranked) and Uryson.
Although the No. 2-singles match between Uryson and Wilkens would go unfinished Meyer would prove victorious by a score of 6-0, 6-3 at No. 1-singles. Alan Leahy defeated Asti Adams by the scores of 6-1, 6-2 at No. 4-singles to clinch the match.
#11 Azusa Pacific 5, #44 Palm Beach Atlantic University 0
05/07/14 at Mobile, Ala. (Copeland-Cox Tennis Center)
1. #5 Jan Meyer (APU-MT) def. #50 Romain Nowaczyk (PBAM) 6-0, 6-3
2. #6 Frederik Wilkens (APU-MT) vs. Nicolas Uryson (PBAM) 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
3. Pascal Engel (APU-MT) vs. Mark Heimberger (PBAM) 6-1, 5-3, unfinished
4. Alan Leahy (APU-MT) def. Asti Adams (PBAM) 6-1, 6-2
5. Gary Yam (APU-MT) vs. Nicholas Battistini (PBAM) 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
6. Tomas Aranguiz (APU-MT) vs. Matt Leeds (PBAM) 3-6, 2-1, unfinished
1. #21 Jan Meyer/Gary Yam (APU-MT) def. #19 Romain Nowaczyk/Nicolas Uryson (PBAM) 8-4
2. Frederik Wilkens/Tomas Aranguiz (APU-MT) def. Nicholas Battistini/Mark Heimberger (PBAM) 8-2
3. Pascal Engel/Alan Leahy (APU-MT) def. Kevin Reifler/Asti Adams (PBAM) 8-3