Men's Tennis Marches On with NCCAA Regional Championship Over Point
April 19, 2014
Written by: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for External Operations
VALDOSTA, Ga.- After missing out on the NCCAA National Tournament the past two seasons the Sailfish men’s tennis team made a dominant statement on Saturday as they clinched the South Region championship by defeating Point (Ga.) University by a score of 9-0. The ‘Fish have now officially stamped their ticket to the National Tournament which will be held May 6-9 in Mobile, Ala.
Playing at the Blazer Tennis Courts on the campus of Valdosta State University the Sailfish and Point University team went to the neutral courts on Saturday with both hoping to play again another day.
The Sailfish would go on to earn their 12th win of the campaign by earning victories in all nine matchups.
Romain Nowaczyk and Nicolas Uryson began things with an 8-2 win at No. 1-doubles followed perfectly in line by Mark Heimberger and Asti Adams with an 8-3 victory at No. 2-doubles. Nicholas Battistini and Kevin Reifler teamed up for the final doubles win for the Sailfish as they claimed an 8-5 victory at No. 3-doubles.
Nowaczyk and Uryson remained in good form at the top of singles with the PBA pair registering 7-5, 6-0 and 6-1, 6-2 wins at Nos. 2 and 3-singles respectively.
Heimberger and Adams were also solid in the middle with Heimberger posting a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 3-singles while Adams fought from behind for a 4-6, 6-3, 10-4 win at No. 4-singles.
Battistini and Matt Leeds rounded out the ‘Fish wins at Nos. 5 and 6-singles respectively with Battistini claiming a 6-2, 6-2 win and Leeds coming out with a 6-1, 6-0 victory.
The team will learn of their seeding and pool assignment for the NCCAA National Tournament in the next few weeks as they look to claim their second-ever NCCAA National title following their first win under head coach Chi Ly back in 2010.
Palm Beach Atlantic University 9, Point University 0
04/19/14 at Valdosta, Ga. (Blazer Tennis Courts)
1. Romain Nowaczyk (PBAM) def. Hewett (PUMT) 7-5, 6-0
2. #47 Nicolas Uryson (PBAM) def. Markowski (PUMT) 6-1, 6-2
3. Mark Heimberger (PBAM) def. Sheeler (PUMT) 6-0, 6-2
4. Asti Adams (PBAM) def. Blanchard (PUMT) 4-6, 6-3, 10-4
5. Nicholas Battistini (PBAM) def. Hays (PUMT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Matt Leeds (PBAM) def. Treviso (PUMT) 6-1, 6-0
1. Romain Nowaczyk/Nicolas Uryson (PBAM) def. Hewett/Hays (PUMT) 8-2
2. Mark Heimberger/Asti Adams (PBAM) def. Markowski/Treviso (PUMT) 8-3
3. Nicholas Battistini/Kevin Reifler (PBAM) def. Blanchard/Sheeler (PUMT) 8-5