Late Rally in Singles Not Enough as the Fish Fall to No. 10-Ranked Aquinas 5-4
March 10, 2014
Written by: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for External Operations
KISSIMMEE, Fla.- The Sailfish men’s tennis team wrapped up their first official day of Spring Break action on Monday evening by nearly upending No. 10-ranked (NAIA) Aquinas College at the Oak St. Courts in Kissimmee, Fla. The ‘Fish were swept in doubles but would force a challenging match for AC by putting together a strong showing in singles.
The loss drops the Sailfish to 5-6 on the season with much more action on the slate this week from central Florida. Palm Beach Atlantic will take on Chicago State University at 12 pm on Tuesday.
The top performers on Monday included senior Romain Nowaczyk knocking off Kristoff Saari who came into action ranked No. 30 (NAIA) in the latest ITA singles rankings as Nowaczyk collected a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 2-singles.
Mark Heimberger followed suit with a 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 victory at No. 3-singles while Nicholas Battistini (3-6, 6-3, 10-6) and Matt Leeds (6-3, 6-4) were also winners at No. 5 and No. 6-singles respectively.
#10 Aquinas College 5, Palm Beach Atlantic University 4
03/10/14 at Kissimmee, Fla. (Oak St. Courts)
1. #5 Aaron Hendrick (AQMT) def. Nicolas Uryson (PBAM) 6-0, 6-3
2. Romain Nowaczyk (PBAM) def. #30 Kristoff Saari (AQMT) 6-4, 6-4
3. Mark Heimberger (PBAM) def. Nik Artaev (AQMT) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
4. No player (AQMT) def. Asti Adams (PBAM) 6-0, 6-4
5. Nicholas Battistini (PBAM) def. Frankie Fischer (AQMT) 3-6, 6-3, 10-6
6. Matt Leeds (PBAM) def. Gunnar Perry (AQMT) 6-3, 6-4
1. #22 Aaron Hendrick/Nik Artaev (AQMT) def. Nicolas Uryson/Mark Heimberger (PBAM) 8-4
2. Kristoff Saari/Gunnar Perry (AQMT) def. Romain Nowaczyk/Nicholas Battistini (PBAM) 8-2
3. Frankie Fischer/No player (AQMT) def. Asti Adams/Matt Leeds (PBAM) 8-3