No. 25 Florida Southern Too Much for Sailfish Men's Tennis
March 1, 2014
Written by: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for External Operations
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla.- The Palm Beach Atlantic men’s tennis team played host to No. 25-ranked (ITA) Florida Southern College on Saturday afternoon at Gaines Park with the Moccasins able to escape Palm Beach County with a 7-2 win. The Sailfish trailed 2-1 after doubles and despite a win by sophomore Nicolas Uryson at No. 1-singles over a nationally-ranked singles opponent the ‘Fish were unable to get the necessary wins down the stretch.
The loss drops the ‘Fish to 3-5 on the season while the ‘Mocs improve to 2-3.
Uryson teamed with junior Mark Heimberger at No. 1-doubles to give PBA an early lead in doubles action but the FSC tandems of Carl Lundberg and Nathan Leavitt at No. 2-doubles and Vladimir Barabash and Charles Garneau at No. 3-doubles came away with close wins for the Mocs to lead 2-1.
In singles, Uryson defeated No. 49-ranked (ITA) singles player Emanuel Lueber at No. 1-singles by a 6-1, 5-7, 11-9 score to inch the ‘Fish closer.
From there however it was all Mocs including three-set wins by Lundberg, Benoit Paradis and Austin Comings.
PBA will return to action on Thursday, Mar. 6th at 3 pm in Kissimmee, Fla. for a neutral site matchup with Montana State-Billings at 3 pm.
#25 Florida Southern 7, Palm Beach Atlantic University 2
03/01/14 at West Palm Beach, Fla. (Gaines Park)
1. Nicolas Uryson (PBAM) def. #49 Emanuel Lueber (FSCM) 6-1, 5-7, 11-9
2. Carl Lundberg (FSCM) def. Romain Nowaczyk (PBAM) 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
3. Benoit Paradis (FSCM) def. Mark Heimberger (PBAM) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
4. Nathan Leavitt (FSCM) def. Asti Adams (PBAM) 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Vladimir Barabash (FSCM) def. Nicholas Battistini (PBAM) 6-3, 6-1
6. Austin Comings (FSCM) def. Matt Leeds (PBAM) 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (7-4)
1. Nicolas Uryson/Mark Heimberger (PBAM) def. Emanuel Lueber/Benoit Paradis (FSCM) 8-5
2. Carl Lundberg/Nathan Leavitt (FSCM) def. Romain Nowaczyk/Nicholas Battistini (PBAM) 8-5
3. Vladimir Barabash/Charles Garneau (FSCM) def. Asti Adams/Matt Leeds (PBAM) 8-6