PBA Men's Tennis Knocks Off NCAA Division I Mount St. Mary's
February 24, 2014
Written by: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for External Operations
KISSIMMEE, Fla.- The Sailfish men’s tennis team traveled north to Kissimmee on Monday afternoon to battle Mount St. Mary’s (Md.) University in a neutral-site match. The ‘Fish proved to be the stronger team on the day as they defeated the NCAA Division I Mount tennis team by a 5-2 score.
With NCAA Division I matches only counting the doubles competition as one point the Sailfish (3-4) earned wins in two of the three matchups to take the point.
Nicolas Uryson and Mark Heimberger teamed up for the 8-0 win at No. 1-doubles while Romain Nowaczyk and Nicholas Battistini posted an 8-3 win at No. 2-doubles.
In singles action it was Uryson and Nowazyk once again performing strong at the top while Heimberger and Matt Leeds also registered victories to help lead PBA to the 5-2 victory.
Uryson earned a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 1-singles while Nowaczyk feasted on a 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 2-singles. Heimberger earned a 6-1, 6-0 victory at the No. 3-singles spot while Leeds came from behind with a 1-6, 7-6, 10-8 win at No. 6-singles.
The Sailfish will host Florida Southern College on Saturday, Mar. 1st at 1 pm for their next match.
Palm Beach Atlantic University 5, Mount St. Mary's 2
02/24/14 at Kissimee, Fla.
1. Nicolas Uryson (PBAM) def. Salam (MSMMT) 6-2, 6-2
2. Romain Nowaczyk (PBAM) def. Blake (MSMMT) 6-2, 7-5
3. Mark Heimberger (PBAM) def. Salomon (MSMMT) 6-1, 6-0
4. Desomocurcio (MSMMT) def. Asti Adams (PBAM) 7-6, 6-3
5. Zabetakis (MSMMT) def. Nicholas Battistini (PBAM) 6-4, 7-5
6. Matt Leeds (PBAM) def. Mast (MSMMT) 1-6, 7-6, 10-8
1. Nicolas Uryson/Mark Heimberger (PBAM) def. Salam/Salomon (MSMMT) 8-0
2. Romain Nowaczyk/Nicholas Battistini (PBAM) def. Blake/Zabetakis (MSMMT) 8-3
3. Tonon/Desomocurcio (MSMMT) def. Asti Adams/Kevin Reifler (PBAM) 8-6