Saints Prove Victorious as Sailfish Fall
February 16, 2014
Written by: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for External Operations
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla.- The Sailfish men’s tennis team concluded a busy weekend on the court on Sunday afternoon by taking on Flagler (Fla.) College at the Flagler Tennis Center. The Saints would win two of three in doubles and then continue their strong play into singles as they came out on top over the Sailfish by a score of 7-2.
The loss drops the Sailfish to 1-3 on the season while the Saints improve to 2-3.
The ‘Fish started strong at the top of doubles as Nicolas Uryson and Mark Heimberger paired for an 8-6 win at No. 1-doubles but the Saints would earns wins at Nos. 2 and 3-doubles to take a 2-1 lead.
In singles, the ‘Fish would once again put up a strong fight but in the end it would only be Heimberger (6-3, 6-3) who would defeat FC’s Fabio Ferrauti at No. 3-singles to give the team their other victory in the match.
Nicholas Battistini and Uriel Oquendo of Flagler went three sets at No. 5-singles with Oquendo coming out victorious by the scores of 3-6, 6-3 and 10-5.
The Sailfish will return to action on Friday, Feb. 21st by traveling to Melbourne, Fla. to take on Florida Tech at 2 pm.
Flagler 7, Palm Beach Atlantic 2
02/16/14 at St. Augustine, Fla. (Flagler Tennis Center)
1. #42 Jose Martinez (FLG) def. Nicolas Uryson (PBAM) 6-3, 6-4
2. Inigo Landaluce (FLG) def. Romain Nowaczyk (PBAM) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
3. Mark Heimberger (PBAM) def. Fabio Ferrauti (FLG) 6-3, 6-3
4. Brant Switzler (FLG) def. Asti Adams (PBAM) 6-4, 6-0
5. Uriel Oquendo (FLG) def. Nicholas Battistini (PBAM) 3-6, 6-3, 10-5
6. Bruno Padilha (FLG) def. Matt Leeds (PBAM) 7-5, 6-3
1. Nicolas Uryson/Mark Heimberger (PBAM) def. Jose Martinez/Uriel Oquendo (FLG) 8-6
2. Inigo Landaluce/Fabio Ferrauti (FLG) def. Romain Nowaczyk/Asti Adams (PBAM) 8-3
3. Hermann Gertmann/Brant Switzler (FLG) def. Nicholas Battistini/Kevin Reifler (PBAM) 8-5