Sailfish Show Great Promise in Defeat Versus No. 9-Ranked Rollins College
February 1, 2014
Written by: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for External Operations
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla.- The Sailfish men’s tennis team officially kicked off the spring sports season on Saturday afternoon by hosting Rollins (Fla.) College at Gaines Park. Boasting three nationally-ranked singles players and the No. 5-ranked doubles tandem in the preseason ITA rankings, the Tars proved to be a tough opening match opponent for the Sailfish as they prevailed 7-2.
Under the direction of head coach Chi Ly in his ninth season the Palm Beach Atlantic (0-1) men’s team showed solid potential for the season while breaking in some players to their regular lineup.
Newcomer Nicholas Uryson teamed with junior Mark Heimberger at No. 1-doubles where they were defeated by the No.5-ranked duo of Will Kwok and Jason Alabaster by an 8-3 tally.
Newcomer Romain Nowaczyk and sophomore Asti Adams brought the ‘Fish their first win of the season at No. 2-doubles with an 8-4 victory while Nicholas Battistini and Matt Leeds, both returners to the Sailfish team, lost 8-4 at No. 3-doubles.
Uryson, a native of Buenos Aires, Argentina, earned the No. 1-singles position for the Sailfish to start the season and came away with an impressive 6-3, 7-5 win over No. 38-ranked Malte Christesen.
Robin Marchione (No. 23-ranked) and Alabaster (No. 34-ranked) proved victorious for the Tars at No. 2 and No. 3-singles respectively over the likes of Nowazyk and Heimberger. Both matches required three sets however as Marchione prevailed 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-1) and Alabaster held on for a 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 win.
The Tars would earn two set victories in the final three singles matchups.
The Sailfish will be busy in the early stages of the 2014 season as they will travel to Ave Maria University on Sunday, Feb. 2nd for a match against the Gyrenes beginning at 1 pm in Naples, Fla.
#9 Rollins 7, Palm Beach Atlantic University 2
02/01/14 at West Palm Beach, Fla. (Gaines Park)
1. Nicolas Uryson (PBAM) def. #38 Malte Christesen (RCM) 6-3, 7-5
2. #23 Robin Marchione (RCM) def. Romain Nowaczyk (PBAM) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-1)
3. #34 Jason Alabaster (RCM) def. Mark Heimberger (PBAM) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
4. Adrian Di Felice (RCM) def. Asti Adams (PBAM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Jacobo Herrero (RCM) def. Nicholas Battistini (PBAM) 6-3, 6-2
6. Ari Davis (RCM) def. Giancarlo Taracena (PBAM) 6-0, 7-5
1. #5 Will Kwok/Jason Alabaster (RCM) def. Nicolas Uryson/Mark Heimberger (PBAM) 8-3
2. Romain Nowaczyk/Asti Adams (PBAM) def. Malte Christesen/Robin Marchione (RCM) 8-4
3. Jacobo Herrero/Ari Davis (RCM) def. Nicholas Battistini/Matt Leeds (PBAM) 8-4