PBA Clinches Spot in NCCAA National Championship Match
May 9, 2013
Written by: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for Communications
MOBILE, Ala.- The Sailfish women’s tennis team made it a perfect four in a row through pool play and the semi-finals of the NCCAA National Tournament by claiming a Thursday victory over the No. 2-team from Pool A in Southern Nazarene University. The Fish posted a 5-2 win over the Crimson Storm and will advance to the NCCAA Championship on Friday.
The Fish will battle the winner between Fresno Pacific (Ca.) University and Azusa Pacific (Ca.) University who play in the other semi-finals match for the championship at 9 am on Friday. PBA defeated APU in pool play.
Palm Beach Atlantic (20-6) once again got off to a good start by taking two-of-three in doubles while also dropping only match in singles.
Veena Vasquez and Victoria Baca did their usual good work at the top of doubles with an 8-4 victory while Vilja Vahatalo and Jessica Wharton bounced back from yesterday’s defeat in doubles to claim a tight 9-8 win at No. 3-doubles.
Vasquez polished off another victory at No. 1-singles to the tune of a 6-2, 6-3 win while Vahatalo (6-3, 6-2) and Leyla Taracena (6-0, 6-1) also each claimed wins.
#23 Palm Beach Atlantic 5, Southern Nazarene 2
05/09/13 at Mobile, Ala.
1. #23 Veena Vasquez (PBAW) def. Masha Andrianova (SNU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Victoria Baca (PBAW) vs. Deisi Bolivar (SNU) 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
3. Natalia Moreno (SNU) def. Natalia Trotter (PBAW) 6-2, 6-3
4. Vilja Vahatalo (PBAW) def. Marina Shipilova (SNU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Jessica Wharton (PBAW) vs. Karina Kotova (SNU) 5-7, 5-4, unfinished
6. Leyla Taracena (PBAW) def. Payton Bergmann (SNU) 6-0, 6-1
1. Veena Vasquez/Victoria Baca (PBAW) def. Masha Andrianova/Marina Shipilova (SNU) 8-4
2. Natalia Moreno/Deisi Bolivar (SNU) def. Natalia Trotter/Leyla Taracena (PBAW) 9-8 (7-0)
3. Vilja Vahatalo/Jessica Wharton (PBAW) def. Karina Kotova/Payton Bergmann (SNU) 9-8 (7-3)