PBA Tennis Closes Out Hilton Head Trip with a Pair of Sweeps Over Chowan
March 9, 2013
Written by: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for Communications
The PBA women’s team (10-4) earned a pair of 8-0 sweeps in doubles action with Natalia Trotter and Leyla Taracena earning the sweep at No. 2-doubles and Vilja Vahatalo and Jessica Wharton combining for the same score at No. 3-doubles.
Veena Vasquez and Victoria Baca both earned singles wins with similar scores as Vasquez defeated her No. 1-singles opponent 6-1, 6-2 and Baca squared off with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 2-singles.
Trotter and Vahatalo followed with similar scores at Nos. 3 and 4 while Liddy Robinson and Maria Jimenez claimed victories at Nos. 5 and 6-singles respectively.
On the men’s side it was the consistent work from top to bottom that saw the men’s team improve their overall season record to 5-9.
Giuseppe Guarnieri and Asti Adams once again came together for an appearance at No. 1-doubles with a 9-7 win while Mark Heimberger and Nicholas Battistini each made good at No. 2-doubles with an 8-2 win. Michael Tsoi and Kevin Reifler, both PBA newcomers this season, earned an 8-1 win at No. 3-doubles to stay ahead of the curve.
Heimberger and Guarnieri were once again solid at the top of singles while Adams and Battistini carried the middle games for PBA. Matt Leeds posted a straight sets win at No. 5-singles while Fernando Arroyo was nearly as dominant with a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 6-singles.
The women’s team will take on Lander University on Sunday, March 10 at the Oxbridge Academy Courts for their next match while the men will begin a five-match homestand with Franciscan College on Tuesday, March 12 at Gaines Park set for a 3 pm start.
#21 PBA 9 Chowan 0
1. Vasquez/Baca def. Kamenshchikova/Egbor 8-3
2. Trotter/Taracena def. DeBackre/Cleveland 8-0
3. Vahatalo/Wharton def. Johnson/Moser 8-0
1. Vasquez def. Kamenshchikova 6-1,6-2
2. Baca def. Johnson 6-1,6-1
3. Trotter def. Egnor 6-1,6-2
4. Vahatalo def. DeBackre 6-2,6-1
5. Robinson def. Cleveland 6-0,6-3
6. Jimenez def. Humphrey 6-0,6-0
PBA 9 Chowan 0
1. Guarnieri/Adams def. Aiala/Galovic 9-7
2. Heimberger/Battistini def. Doubograev/Kirsanov 8-2
3. Tsoi/Reifler def. Van Eck/Williams 8-1
1. Heimberger def. Aiala 7-5,6-0
2. Guarnieri def. Doubograev 6-1,6-1
3. Adams def. Kirsanov 6-0,6-1
4. Battistini def. Galovic 6-3,6-2
5. Leeds def. Van Eck 6-0,6-0
6. Arroyo def. Wiliams 6-0,6-1