Women's Tennis Keeps Rolling While the Men Are Edged Narrowly by Newberry
March 6, 2013
Written by: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for Communications
HILTON HEAD, S.C.- After a day away from the courts in Hilton Head, South Carolina the Palm Beach Atlantic University tennis teams returned on Wednesday afternoon as they squared off against Newberry (S.C) College in both men’s and women’s action. The Sailfish ladies continued their successful ways with a 7-2 win while the men’s recent three-match winning streak was snapped as NC took the 5-4 win.
The No. 21-ranked Sailfish women’s team earned their eighth victory of the season and their third in a row as they improved to 2-0 on their spring break swing.
They will be joined by the men to take on the University of Findlay (Ohio) tomorrow morning at 8 am.
The Sailfish looked up at a 2-1 lead after doubles as Natalia Trotter and Leyla Taracena combined for an 8-4 win at No. 2-doubles while Jessica Wharton and Maria Jimenez teamed up for an 8-0 win at No. 3-doubles.
Sophomore leader Veena Vasquez claimed a 6-3, 6-0 win at No.1-singles for the Fish while Trotter and Wharton were strong at Nos. 3 and 4-singles with Trotter claiming a 6-4, 6-0 win and Wharton proving tough with a 6-3, 6-4 win of her own.
Taracena was joined in the win column by Liddy Robinson at Nos. 5 and 6-singles as Robinson fought from behind as she claimed a 3-6, 6-4, 10-6 win at No.6-singles.
#21 PBA 7 Newberry 2
1. Vasquez/Baca lost to Aquire/Adum 3-8
2. Trotter/Taracena def. Strong/Lamars 8-4
3. Wharton/Jimenez def. Zeihe/McManus 8-0
1. Vasquez def. Aquire 6-3, 6-0
2. Baca lost to Adum 1-6, 3-6
3. Trotter def. Strong 6-4, 6-0
4. Wharton def. Zeihe 6-3, 6-4
5. Taracena def. Lamars 6-2, 6-0
6. Robinson def. McManus 3-6, 6-4, 10-6
The men’s team would struggle out of the gate in doubles as Newberry claimed all three doubles matches on their way to an early 3-0 lead.
Despite PBA performing well in singles, earning wins at Nos. 1, 3, 5 and 6, it wouldn’t be enough as NC came away with the 5-4 win.
Mark Heimberger and Asti Adams each earned wins in the top half of singles while Nicholas Battistini and Fernando Arroyo produced wins at Nos. 5 and 6-singles.
Arroyo came from behind with a 2-6, 6-4, 16-14 win at No. 6-singles.
PBA 4 Newberry 5
1. Heimberger/Leeds lost to Saunders/Botelho 3-8
2. Guarnieri/Tsoi lost to Nicoiopolus/Espana 3-8
3. Adams/Reifler lost to Sons/Kiser 8-9 (4)
1. Heimberger def. Saunders 6-0, 6-3
2. Guarnieri lost to Botelho 1-6, 4-6
3. Adams def. Nicoiopolus 6-0, 4-6, 10-3
4. Leeds lost to Espana 1-6, 1-6
5. Battistini def. Sons 7-5, 6-2
6. Arroyo def. Kiser 2-6, 6-4, 16-14