Sailfish Tennis Teams Off to a Good Start with Wins Over Brevard College
March 4, 2013
Written by: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for Communications
The ladies earned a pair of wins by default at No. 3-doubles and No. 6-singles while only one match went longer than two sets.
Veena Vasquez and Victoria Baca took their usual place atop doubles and singles as the tandem claimed an 8-5 win at No. 1-doubles while both saw wins in their respective top two spots in singles.
Natalia Trotter and Leyla Taracena combined for an 8-2 win at No. 2-doubles while Trotter earned a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 3-singles. Taracena earned a win by default at No. 6-singles.
Vilja Vahatalo and Jessica Wharton were in line for wins at No. 3-doubles as well as individually at Nos. 4 and 5-singles respectively.
PBA 9 Brevard 0
1. Vasquez/Baca def. Dillman/Prata 8-5
2. Trotter/Taracena def. Laubus/Ovellette 8-2
3. Vahatalo/Wharton won by default
1. Vasquez def. Dillman 6-1, 6-2
2. Baca def. Prata 2-6, 7-5, 10-4
3. Trotter def. Laubus 6-3, 6-1
4. Vahatalo def. Ovellette 6-0, 6-0
5. Wharton def. Silva 6-2, 6-4
6. Taracena won by default
The men’s side saw the Fish drop No. 1-doubles but Giuseppe Guarnieri and Michael Tsoi combined for an 8-4 win at No. 2-doubles and Asti Adams and Kevin Reifler teamed up for an 8-3 win at No. 3-doubles.
Mark Heimberger came out on top at No. 1-singles (6-4, 6-3) as did Adams at No. 3-singles (6-4, 6-2).
Freshman Matt Leeds was joined by Nicholas Battistini and Fernando Arroyo as winners in singles as well.
Both teams will meet up with Newberry College on Wednesday, March 6 at 2 pm for their next contest at Hilton Head. Those matches will be played at Hilton Head High School.
PBA 7 Brevard 2
1. Heimberger/Leeds lost to Kloster/Taggart 5-8
2. Guarnieri/Tsoi def. Finch/Giovanilli 8-4
3. Adams/Reifler def. Liell/Northam 8-3
1. Heimberger def. Kloster 6-4, 6-3
2. Guarnieri lost to Taggart 4-6, 2-6
3. Adams def. Northam 6-4,6-2
4. Leeds def. Giovanilli 4-6, 6-0, 10-6
5. Battistini def. Finch 6-2, 6-2
6. Arroyo def. Liell 6-2, 6-0