Palm Beach Atlantic Women Give No. 5-Ranked Lynn All They Can Handle
February 19, 2013
Written by: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for Communications
BOCA RATON, Fla.- A battle of top-30 women’s tennis programs nearly turned to a surprise upset on Tuesday afternoon as No. 27-ranked Palm Beach Atlantic gave No. 5-ranked Lynn University a bit of a scare. Leading 2-1 after doubles, the Sailfish couldn’t quite finish off the Fighting Knights as LU claimed a 6-3 win thanks to wins in singles 1-5.
The Fish (4-3) started the match by claiming wins at Nos. 2 and 3-doubles as Natalia Trotter and Leyla Taracena combined for an 8-3 win at No. 2-doubles and Vilja Vahatalo and Jessica Wharton teamed for an 8-6 win at No. 3-doubles.
Looking to improve upon their good work in doubles play, the Sailfish would run into a pair of nationally-ranked singles players for LU (4-1) and witness the Knights take all but one singles match.
Taracena was the lone winner for the Fish as she posted an impressive 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 6-singles.
Trotter earned a 6-2 win in the opening set at No. 3-singles but was then defeated 6-4, 6-2.
PBA will be back to action on Friday, Feb. 22 when they host Florida Southern College at 3 pm at Gaines Park.
#5 Lynn University 6, #27 Palm Beach Atlantic 3
02/19/13 at Boca Raton, Fla.
1. #10 Val Confalonieri (LUW) def. Veena Vasquez (PBAW) 6-0, 6-1
2. #15 Ioana Ivan (LUW) def. Victoria Baca (PBAW) 6-2, 6-1
3. Alina Jane (LUW) def. Natalia Trotter (PBAW) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Ana Kriz (LUW) def. Vilja Vahatalo (PBAW) 6-1, 6-4
5. Aleks Vukadinovic (LUW) def. Jessica Wharton (PBAW) 6-4, 6-2
6. Leyla Taracena (PBAW) def. Valentina Chacin (LUW) 6-1, 6-0
1. Val Confalonieri/Ioana Ivan (LUW) def. Veena Vasquez/Victoria Baca (PBAW) 8-2
2. Natalia Trotter/Leyla Taracena (PBAW) def. Ana Kriz/Alina Jane (LUW) 8-3
3. Vilja Vahatalo/Jessica Wharton (PBAW) def. Valentina Chacin/Aleks Vukadinovic (LUW) 8-6
Palm Beach Atlantic 4-3; National ranking #27
Lynn University 4-1; National ranking #3; Regional ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,3,5,4,6)