Men's Tennis Falls in Regional Tilt with Lynn University
February 19, 2013
Written by: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for Communications
BOCA RATON, Fla.- The Sailfish men’s tennis team made the short trek to Boca Raton on Tuesday afternoon to compete against Palm Beach County rival, Lynn University. Although the Fish would put forth a good effort it wouldn’t be enough to topple the always strong Fighting Knights program as the No. 3-ranked LU team defeated PBA by a 9-0 score.
The Sailfish (0-7) took on two nationally-ranked individuals at Nos. 1 and 3-singles respectively while attempting to take a set from the Fighting Knights as a team.
The Fish put together their strongest performances at the top and bottom of singles play with Mark Heimberger falling 6-2, 6-2 to No. 17-ranked Vlad Cirla at No. 1-singles and Fernando Arroyo falling 7-5, 6-1 at No. 6-singles to Giulo Gomba.
PBA will be in search of their first victory in their next outing when they host Saint Leo University on Saturday, Feb. 23rd to begin a three-match home stand. The two teams will square off at 1 pm at Gaines Park.
#3 Lynn University 9, Palm Beach Atlantic 0
02/19/13 at Boca Raton, Fla.
1. #17 Vlad Cirla (LUM) def. Mark Heimberger (PBAMT) 6-2, 6-2
2. Max Kouyate (LUM) def. Asti Adams (PBAMT) 6-2, 6-4
3. #28 Alessio Iannozzi (LUM) def. Michael Leonard (PBAMT) 6-2, 6-0
4. Pavel Mohja (LUM) def. Nicholas Battistini (PBAMT) 6-0, 6-2
5. Simon Gloeckner (LUM) def. Michael Tsoi (PBAMT) 6-0, 6-2
6. Giulio Gomba (LUM) def. Fernando Arroyo (PBAMT) 7-5, 6-1
1. Max Kouyate/Pavel Mohja (LUM) def. Mark Heimberger/Matt Leeds (PBAMT) 8-2
2. Alessio Iannozzi/Simon Gloeckner (LUM) def. Michael Leonard/Michael Tsoi (PBAMT) 8-0
3. Giulio Gomba/Vlad Cirla (LUM) def. Asti Adams/Nicholas Battistini (PBAMT) 8-3
Palm Beach Atlantic 0-7
Lynn University 5-0; National ranking #3; Regional ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,2,1,4,5,6)