Men's Tennis Gains Valuable Experience in Season Opener Versus Bethune Cookman
February 1, 2013
Written By: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for Communications
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.- A young and mostly inexperienced Palm Beach Atlantic men’s tennis squad hit the courts for the first time in 2013 on Friday afternoon by battling Bethune Cookman University, a NCAA Division I opponent. The Fish would prove pesky but in the end only a Mark Heimberger singles victory would go in the PBA win column on the day as they fell 6-1 to the Wildcats.
Heimberger posted a solid performance at No. 1-singles for the Sailfish (0-1) as he claimed a 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 win to get the Fish on the board.
He also made an appearance at No. 1-doubles with teammate Matt Leeds as the duo fell short in their quest for a victory by a score of 4-8.
Asti Adams was joined by Michael Leonard, Michael Tsoi, Fernando Arroyo, Kevin Reifler, Nicholas Battistini, Heimberger and Leeds all making their PBA debuts.
The team will be busy over the next few days with the men’s team taking on Florida Southern College and The Citadel on Saturday while battling Coastal Georgia University on Sunday.
PBA 1, Bethune Cookman 6
1. Heimberger/Leeds lost to Lobelo/Garavito 4-8
2. Battistini/Verd lost to Varon/Provath 0-8
3. Reifler/Arroyo lost to Jackson/Rotich 1-8
1. Heimberger def. Varon 6-4,4-6,6-3
2. Guarnieri lost to Lima 4-6,2-6
3. Adams lost to Garavito 3-6,3-6
4. Leonard lost to Lobelo 0-6,3-6
5. Coburn lost to Provath 1-6,1-6
6. Tsoi lost to Rotich 1-6,4-6