Sailfish Women's Tennis Team Stamps Ticket to NCCAA Championship Match
May 10, 2012
Written By: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for Athletic Communications
MOBILE, Ala.- The Sailfish women’s tennis team earned their third win on Thursday as they continued play at the NCCAA National Tournament. The squad posted their third straight 5-0 sweep as they knocked off Pool A runner-up Indiana Wesleyan University with the Sailfish clinching a spot in the NCCAA title match to be played on Friday.
The Sailfish will battle Dallas Baptist University, the Pool A champion, for the fourth straight season in the NCCAA National Championship match. DBU has come out on top each of the past three seasons while the Sailfish have been the NCCAA runner-up each of the past four years.
As has been their custom through competition at the tournament the past three days, the Sailfish swept through doubles with relative ease and then managed a pair of singles wins to close out the match.
Veena Vasquez and Leydi Zora combined to give the Fish their most dominant doubles outing as the No. 1-doubles duo posted an 8-1 score over Andrea Meyering and Lauren Wilson.
Victoria Baca and Natalia Trotter as well as Alexis Antista and Vilja Vahatalo each earned 8-3 wins at No. 2 and No. 3-doubles respectively.
Baca and Vahatalo proved to be the first two to finish in singles as Baca earned 6-1, 6-1 wins at No. 2-singles while Vahatalo was even stronger with a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 5-singles.
The victory improves PBA to 19-5 on the season with one final match to be played.
Palm Beach Atlantic University 5, Indiana Wesleyan University 0
05/10/12 at Mobile, Ala.
1. Veena Vasquez (PBAWT) vs. Rachel Heiniger (IWUWT) unfinished
2. Victoria Baca (PBAWT) def. Andrea Meyering (IWUWT) 6-1, 6-1
3. Leydi Zora (PBAWT) vs. Lauren Wilson (IWUWT) unfinished
4. Natalia Trotter (PBAWT) vs. Kristen Futrell (IWUWT) unfinished
5. Vilja Vahatalo (PBAWT) def. Kim Mella (IWUWT) 6-0, 6-1
6. Maria Jimenez (PBAWT) vs. Sarah Richert (IWUWT) unfinished
1. Veena Vasquez/Leydi Zora (PBAWT) def. Andrea Meyering/Lauren Wilson (IWUWT) 8-1
2. Victoria Baca/Natalia Trotter (PBAWT) def. Rachel Heiniger/Kristen Futrell (IWUWT) 8-3
3. Alexis Antista/Vilja Vahatalo (PBAWT) def. A. Lohser/D. Jones (IWUWT) 8-3