PBA Women's Tennis Marches On at NCCAA National Tournament
May 9, 2012
Written By: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for Athletic Communications
MOBILE, Ala.- The Palm Beach Atlantic women’s tennis team wrapped up pool play on Wednesday morning with another strong showing at the NCCAA National Tournament at the Mobile Tennis Center. After a 5-0 sweep of Bethel College (Ind.) on Tuesday the Lady Sailfish came back for another 5-0 win on Wednesday as they handed Campbellsville University the shutout loss.
The Fish are now 18-5 for the season as they have now advanced to the NCCAA National Tournament semi-finals to be played on Thursday. Palm Beach Atlantic will battle Indiana Wesleyan University with hopes of clinching another trip to the NCCAA finals later in the day.
Veena Vasquez and Leydi Zora once again teamed up for a No. 1-doubles win by an 8-2 score while Victoria Baca and Natalia Trotter made easy work of their No. 2-doubles opponent with an 8-0 win.
Alexis Antista paired with fellow freshman Vilja Vahatalo for an 8-1 win at No. 3-doubles.
Vasquez and Baca did the rest in singles as they pushed through for a pair of victories to clinch the 5-0 match. Vasquez won 6-2, 6-1 over Anny Tumanyan at No. 1-singles while Trotter was victorious 6-0, 6-0 at No. 4-singles.
The remainder of PBA’s singles players were all leading including winning marks from Baca and Zora as well as Liddy Robinson and Maria Jimenez before the match was clinched.
Palm Beach Atlantic University 5, Campbellsville University 0
05/09/12 at Mobile, Ala.
1. Veena Vasquez (PBAWT) def. Anna Tumanyan (CUWT) 6-2, 6-1
2. Victoria Baca (PBAWT) vs. Megan Charity (CUWT) unfinished
3. Leydi Zora (PBAWT) vs. Lindy Charity (CUWT) unfinished
4. Natalia Trotter (PBAWT) def. Jenna Sallee (CUWT) 6-0, 6-0
5. Maria Jimenez (PBAWT) vs. Aspen Edwards (CUWT) unfinished
6. Liddy Robinson (PBAWT) vs. Stacey Drew (CUWT) unfinished
1. Veena Vasquez/Leydi Zora (PBAWT) def. Anna Tumanyan/Aspen Edwards (CUWT) 8-2
2. Victoria Baca/Natalia Trotter (PBAWT) def. Megan Charity/Jenna Sallee (CUWT) 8-0
3. Alexis Antista/Vilja Vahatalo (PBAWT) def. Lindy Charity/Stacey Drew (CUWT) 8-1