Florida Tech Does Enough to Secure a 7-2 Win Over PBA Men's Tennis
April 13, 2012
Written By: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for Athletic Communications
MELBOURNE, Fla.- The injuries are starting to pile up for the Palm Beach Atlantic University men’s tennis program. After losing two players to injury in their most recent match against Fort Valley State University on Monday, the Fish dropped a 7-2 decision on Friday afternoon against No. 42-ranked Florida Tech. The Fish proved strong at their top two doubles matchups but couldn’t muster a team victory against the Panthers.
Without a No. 3-doubles or No. 5 and No. 6-singles, the Fish were left with having to win nearly each of their matchups on Friday against a solid Panthers club.
Luke Bolanos and Giuseppe Guarnieri each earned wins at the top of singles play with Bolanos managing a 7-6, 6-2 win at No. 1-singles and Guarnieri defeating Michael Schmidt at No. 2-singles by the scores of 6-7, 6-4, 13-4.
Unfortunately for the Fish that’s where things ended on the winning side of things as Eric Wade and Jaime Verd each dropped their decisions at No. 3 and No. 4-singles while the Panthers swept through doubles.
Tomorrow’s match versus Rollins College has been canceled due to PBA’s mounting injuries. The team’s planned USTA Kid’s event will still take place however.
#42 Florida Tech 7, Palm Beach Atlantic 2
Apr 13, 2012 at Melbourne, Fla. (Fee Avenue Tennis Courts)
1. Luke Bolanos (PBAM) def. D.J. Pate (FTM) 7-6, 6-2
2. Giuseppe Guarnieri (PBAM) def. Michael Schmidt (FTM) 6-7, 6-4, 13-4
3. James McLane (FTM) def. Eric Wade (PBAM) 6-4, 6-0
4. Kermit Strachan (FTM) def. Jaime Verd (PBAM) 6-2, 6-0
5. Daniel Armellino (FTM) def. No player (PBAM), by default
6. Riley Lorenz (FTM) def. No player (PBAM), by default
1. Nicolas Clerc/Jorge Abarca Montero (FTM) def. Luke Bolanos/Eric Wade (PBAM) 8-3
2. Michael Schmidt/Barry Dylewski (FTM) def. Giuseppe Guarnieri/Jaime Verd (PBAM) 8-5
3. Beau Fieldsend/D.J. Pate (FTM) def. No player/No player (PBAM), by default