Bolanos Closes Out Brevard Hopes with Exciting 5-4 Win
March 6, 2012
Written By: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for Communications
HILTON HEAD, S.C.- With Tuesday’s men’s tennis match tied at four games apiece, it came down to Palm Beach Atlantic University senior Luke Bolanos trying to close out his final set and win the match for the Sailfish. It would take a tie-breaker but in the end Bolanos would get the job done as PBA earned a 5-4 win over Brevard College as PBA earned their fourth straight match victory.
Palm Beach Atlantic (4-5) would need each and every game of the match otherwise they would have been looking at a tough defeat at the hands of the Tornadoes.
The Sailfish took two of three in doubles as Bolanos teamed with freshman Giuseppe Guarnieri for an 8-4 win at No. 2-doubles while Nick Hines and Jaime Verd managed an 8-4 win of their own at No. 3-doubles to push the lead to 2-1.
Following wins at No. 6 and No. 1-singles by the Tornadoes to take a 3-2 lead, the Fish would fight back with victories by Guarnieri at No. 3-singles and Eric Wade at No. 4-singles to push back in front.
Brevard would force the match to the brink when George Finch tallied a 7-6, 7-5 win over PBA’s Verd at No. 5-singles to set the stage for a Bolanos versus Beau Wills at No. 2-singles.
Following a 5-7 loss in the first game, Bolanos would respond to the challenge by managing a 6-3 win followed by a 10-5 tiebreaker victory.
The Fish will be back in action on Thursday, March 8th as they will battle Augusta State University at 8:30 am.
Palm Beach Atlantic 5, Brevard 4
03/06/12 at Hilton Head, S.C.
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Mick Lyons (PBAMT) 7-5, 6-2
2. Luke Bolanos (PBAMT) def. Beau Wills (BCM) 5-7, 6-3, 10-5
3. Giuseppe Guarnieri (PBAMT) def. Rory Northam (BCM) 6-3, 3-6, 10-5
4. Eric Wade (PBAMT) def. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 6-3, 7-5
5. George Finch (BCM) def. Jaime Verd (PBAMT) 7-6, 7-5
6. Rob Havens (BCM) def. Nick Hines (PBAMT) 7-5, 6-0
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Mick Lyons/Eric Wade (PBAMT) 8-6
2. Luke Bolanos/Giuseppe Guarnieri (PBAMT) def. Rory Northam/Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 8-4
3. Nick Hines/Jaime Verd (PBAMT) def. Rob Havens/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) 8-4
Palm Beach Atlantic 4-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,1,4,3,5,2)