Men's Tennis Lands Victory Over Southern New Hampshire on Friday Night
March 2, 2012
Written By: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for Athletic Communications
DELRAY BEACH, Fla.- Heading south 20 or so minutes down Interstate 95, the Palm Beach Atlantic University men’s tennis team played host to Southern New Hampshire University on Friday evening on the site of the Delray Beach Tennis Center. The mach would turn out to be a marathon one as the Sailfish finally topped the Penmen by a score of 5-4 with wins by Nick Hines and Jaime Verd at No. 5 and 6 singles.
Desperately seeking a win before gearing up for a busy spring break trip to Hilton Head, South Carolina, the Sailfish (1-5) led 2-1 after doubles but saw SNHU claim wins at Nos. 2-4 in singles to hold a 4-2 lead.
Thankfully for the Sailfish the lower half of singles came through as Verd claimed a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 6-singles before a long and tiring match for Nick Hines at No. 5 singles left the senior with a 6-2, 6-7, 7-5 win.
Freshman Mick Lyons teamed with sophomore Eric Wade to land PBA on top at No. 1-doubles with an 8-5 victory while Luke Bolanos and Giuseppe Guarnieri came through early on with an 8-6 win at No. 2-doubles.
Lyons proved solid at No. 1-singles for the Fish with a 7-5 (5), 6-2 win while Juan Arango, Alex Muldaprekorn and Wallace all earned singles wins for the Penmen.
The Fish will open up their spring break trip with a match on Sunday, March 4th versus Michigan Tech at 1 pm.
Palm Beach Atlantic University 5, So. New Hampshire 4
03/02/12 at Delray Beach, Fla.
1. Mick Lyons (PBAMT) def. Mitch Dobek (SNH) 7-6, 6-2
2. Juan Arango-Campo (SNH) def. Luke Bolanos (PBAMT) 6-4, 6-2
3. Alex Mukdaprakorn (SNH) def. Giuseppe Guarnieri (PBAMT) 6-2, 6-2
4. Mike Wallace (SNH) def. Eric Wade (PBAMT) 6-7, 6-4, 7-5
5. Nick Hines (PBAMT) def. Jared Wright (SNH) 6-2, 6-7, 7-5
6. Jaime Verd (PBAMT) def. Brad Malenich (SNH) 6-2, 6-4
1. Mick Lyons/Eric Wade (PBAMT) def. Juan Arango-Campo/Alex Mukdaprakorn (SNH) 8-5
2. Luke Bolanos/Giuseppe Guarnieri (PBAMT) def. Mitch Dobek/Mike Wallace (SNH) 8-6
3. Jared Wright/Brad Malenich (SNH) def. Nick Hines/Jaime Verd (PBAMT) 8-6