Regional Battle Goes the Way of the Moccasins
April 11, 2011
Written By: Michael Brown, Assistant A.D. for Athletic Communications
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla.- In a matchup of closely ranked NCAA regional opponents, the Palm Beach Atlantic men’s tennis team was unable to upend Florida Southern College on Monday afternoon at Gaines Park. The No. 25 ranked Mocs took two of the three doubles and swept through the bottom half of singles to claim a 6-3 victory over the Sailfish and their No. 42 ranked squad.
Both battling for a potential NCAA regional bid, the Mocs held the most recent advantage in regional rankings at No. 7 while the Fish were steady at No. 9 in the latest regional rankings.
Krasimir Atanasov and Luke Bolanos, the No. 22 ranked doubles tandem in the nation, gave the Fish a lift at No. 1 doubles with an 8-4 win but the Moccasins would prevail 8-6 and 8-1 at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles.
Moving into singles action it would once again be Atanasov and Bolanos who would earn wins as Atanasov defeated Ivan Mareevic (6-3, 6-3) at No. 1 singles and Bolanos took care of business against Brian deMontfort at No. 3 singles (6-4, 6-4) to keep PBA close in the match.
It would unfortunately turn toward the Red and White down the stretch as they would prevail at No. 4, 5, and 6 in singles with Eric Wade’s No. 5 singles match going three sets (2-6, 6-0, 6-4).
#25 Florida Southern 6, #42 Palm Beach Atlantic 3
1. #32 Krasimir Atanasov (PBA) def. Ivan Marevic (FSM) 6-3, 6-3
2. Benoit Paradis (FSM) def. Bastian Guenther (PBA) 6-3, 6-4
3. Luke Bolanos (PBA) def. Brian deMontfort (FSM) 6-4, 6-4
4. C.J. Johnson (FSM) def. Alex Minicozzi (PBA) 6-2, 6-2
5. Jorge Gutierrez (FSM) def. Eric Wade (PBA) 2-6, 6-0, 6-4
6. Nathan Leavitt (FSM) def. Evan Sahlman (PBA) 6-0, 6-3
1. #22 Krasimir Atanasov/Luke Bolanos (PBA) def. Brian deMontfort/Ivan Marevic (FSM) 8-4
2. Benoit Paradis/C.J. Johnson (FSM) def. Bastian Guenther/Alex Minicozzi (PBA) 8-6
3. Jorge Gutierrez/Nathan Leavitt (FSM) def. James Verd/Eric Wade (PBA) 8-1