Sailfish Women's Tennis Collects History-Making Victory at NCAA Regional
May 6, 2010
Written By: Barry University Sports Information
MIAMI SHORES, Fla.-The 34th-ranked Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish pulled out a 5-3 upset of #28 Delta State in the first round of the NCAA Division II South Region-I Women’s Tennis Tournament at the Buccaneer Tennis Center on the campus of Barry University on Thursday. The Sailfish victory is a first in the short history of NCAA competition for PBA as it marks the first win for a Sailfish athletic team at a NCAA Regional event.
The Sailfish (11-9) grabbed a 2-1 lead out of doubles. Delta State’s Laura Mongin and Lisa Jamais took the first point 8-2 at number one doubles from PBA’s Lina Rubiano and Natalia Trotter. But the Sailfish came back to win the bottom two flights.
Jordan Ittersagen and Krishna Domenech defeated Tatiana Bouchaud and Amanda Cornelison 8-4 at number three to even the match, while Natalie Aleman and Amber Braaten consolidated the lead with an 8-5 win over DSU’s Amandine Gourgues and Lucia Laws at number two.
In singles, DSU’s Mongin quickly evened the match with a 6-0, 6-0 shutout of Trotter at number three. Rubiano put the sailfish back up 3-2 with a 6-2, 6-3 dismantling of Jamais at number one. Laws knotted the match once again by beating Aleman 6-3, 6-3 at number two.
The teams split sets at the bottom three filights. PBA’s Braaten survived a shutout in the second set to defeat Gourgues 7-5, 0-6, 6-3 to put the Sailfish on the cusp.
After losing the first set 2-6, Domenech recovered to take out Cornelison 6-4, 6-1 at number six to seal the match.
The Sailfish will now face the host and top-seeded Barry Buccaneers in the semifinals on Friday, May 7 at 9:00 am with the winner to advance to the championship match on Saturday at 9:00 am.
Tennis Match Results
Delta State vs Palm Beach Atlantic
05/06/2010 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#34 Palm Beach Atlantic 5, #28 Delta State 3
1. Lina Rubiano (PBAW) def. Lisa Jamais (DSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Lucia Laws (DSU) def. Natalie Aleman (PBAW) 6-3, 6-3
3. Laura Mongin (DSU) def. Natalia Trotter (PBAW) 6-0, 6-0
4. Amber Braaten (PBAW) def. Amandine Gourgues (DSU) 7-5, 0-6, 6-3
5. Jordan Ittersagen (PBAW) vs. Tatiana Bouchaud (DSU) 6-7 (2-7), 7-6 (7-3), unfinished
6. Krishna Domenech (PBAW) def. Amanda Cornelison (DSU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
1. Laura Mongin/Lisa Jamais (DSU) def. Lina Rubiano/Natalia Trotter (PBAW) 8-2
2. Natalie Aleman/Amber Braaten (PBAW) def. Amandine Gourgues/Lucia Laws (DSU) 8-5
3. Jordan Ittersagen/Krishna Domenech (PBAW) def. Tatiana Bouchaud/Amanda Cornelison (DSU) 8-4
Delta State 12-7; National ranking #28
Palm Beach Atlantic 11-9; National ranking #34
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (,3,1,2,4,6)
Palm Beach Atlantic advances to play Barry at 9:00 a.m. Friday